Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Baby Jak






It all slowly started July 17th 2010 I was having on and off light contractions all day. I assumed since Lainey was born within 8hours of contractions starting our baby boy would be here by midnight! After a fun day of swimming and dinner with family I was ready to get home. The contractions were 2.5 mins apart and lasting two mins on the way home...we called the midwife and the friends that would be helpers during labor and birth. I realized that night was the last night Lainey would be the baby so i gave her the normal bedtime routine with the help of John b/c when i had a contraction i stopped reading and started breathing:) Our midwife, assistants, and friends arrived...i was checked and was posterior and only 3 cm dilated. They informed me that I should try and sleep and call them back over when contractions were more intense. Sleeping was insanely hard in between contractions but i tried my hardest. Around 1am I really wanted a birthing ball and luckily we have a 24hr wal-mart close by and my sis-in-law was willing and went! It was a life saver and i was so comfortable on it! My contractions were like the energizer bunny...hoping i was closer i was ready to call my midwife back. She informed me i was a lot softer but still needed to rest and think of opening! I honestly was so discouraged because my labor with Lainey went so quick! I was trying everything I was taught at hypnobirthing and staying positive but nothing was working:( It was morning and Lainey woke up...I had thought for sure he would be here before she woke up but to no avail! we had a wonderful big breakfast and my midwife told me to go back to bed and she would be back around noon unless I called sooner. At noon my contractions completely switched to the intense ones and I was so excited and ready! My midwife came to check me and my water broke at 1:30. Sadly there was meconium(baby poop) in my water and that is one of the things that you must go to the hospital and can not go through with a homebirth. I was a little upset but instantly thought how much Jaks safety and my safety were the only things that mattered! we packed up as I endured the contractions getting more and more intense. We were preregistered at Grossmont but when they were called we were diverged to Mary Birch. We got to Mary Birch around 2:30 and while I was trying to give a urine sample in triage my body started pushing. i called for John and said he is coming and the nurses rushed over got me in a bed saw that he was crowning rushed me up to Labor and Delivery and after switching beds I pushed twice and out came Jak at 2:59pm Sunday July 18th! It was so insane! He was taken swiftly to extract the meconium and they informed me he had not aspirated(breathed in) any so he would be fine! I got him back quickly and enjoyed some skin to skin with my big boy. He latched on like a champ and we soaked in his cuteness:) He was weighed at 8lbs 10.8oz and was 21 inches long. Lainey came to meet her baby brother and was instantly smitten. We stayed overnight and left the next day at 2:45. We are all loving being home and together!

3 comments:

wer said...

Congrats! I can't wait to meet him! So what's his full name?

feetee said...

JAK is so cute! We are so excited for you guys! Congratulations :)

Go Go Gomez said...

That is a crazy story! You need to teach me some of those tricks for the next time I have a baby! I think you are amazing and your little family is so adorable!